Manufacturer Provided Description
J/122 is a versatile 40 foot performance sprit boat with comfortable live-aboard accommodations, a refined deck layout, low VCG keel with a moderate 7.2′ draft. The hull & deck are built using superior SCRIMP infusion molding to maximize durability and long term value. A friendly cruiser/racer, J/122 offers a completely furnished interior, a simple to manage balanced sail plan, head turning performance and great looks. The first J/122s have quickly set the new performance standard for dual purpose 40 foot yachts both inshore and offshore.
The J/122 cockpit is ergonomically optimized with a floor mounted traveler, below decks mainsheet system, offshore seatbacks, remote backstay adjuster and an available removable transom storage dock box that allows one to increase cockpit storage for cruising or convert back to a lighter race mode in a matter of minutes.
Hull & Deck
- Infusion molded sandwich construction using uni-and multi-directional fiberglass, low density balsa core, vinylester resin and the “SCRIMP” patented resin infusion process.
- White gelcoat hull finish with integrated gelcoat double boot stripe in flag blue.
- Off-white deck with two optional choice of non-skid colors
- Hull-to-deck joint is bonded with a methacrylate structural adhesive.
- Transverse/longitudinal grids and mast step are infused as part of the hull molding.
- Infusion molded, main bulkhead.
- All intermediate bulkheads are glassed to hull and deck for stiffness.
- Low VCG keel with encapsulated cast iron fin with lead bulb, bolted and bonded to shallow sump, with seamed joint to allow for easy removal.
- ORC legal foredeck toe rails molded into the deck.
- Large capacity self draining foredeck chain locker, with space for optional windlass.
- Two side lockers in cockpit, each capable of life-raft stowage.
- One aft locker in cockpit sole (aft of wheel).
- One Gas/LPG bottle locker, vented and drained overboard.
- Transom platform with removable swimming ladder.
- Balanced, composite rudder using uni and multi-directional fiberglass, on high resistance stainless steel stock, turning on JP3 self-aligning bearings.
Spars & Rigging
- Auto-claved carbon fiber mast, runnerless with double spreaders, mainsail track, finished in white Awlgrip.
- Black painted aluminum boom, with 12:1 outhaul purchase system, two reef line sheaves, internal mainsheet anchoring point and forward articulated blocks to deck.
- Pre-molded mast wedge system, and adjustable mast step.
- Discontinuous rod rigging (Nitronic 50).
- Remote panel hydraulic backstay adjuster with panel installed on forward face of pedestal.
- SS hydraulic panel guard.
- Jib furling system with integrated furler drum into the deck.
- Retractable carbon bowsprit controlled from cockpit with watertight containment box draining overboard.
- Solid boomvang with 24:1 integral purchase system.
- Vectran mainsail and jib halyard.
- Two spinnaker halyard with snap shackle.
- Mainsail traveler lines.
- Adjustable jib car lines.
- Two reef lines.
- Two Harken 50.2 STA self-tailing primary winches.
- Two Harken 46.2 STA mainsheet winches.
- Two Harken 40 STA halyard winches on aft end of coachroof.
- Belowdecks 2:1 Harken mainsheet system starting at the traveler, led forward through the boom, down to sidedecks, then aft under deck to cockpit winches.
- Harken adjustable mainsheet traveler with 6:1 purchase with ratchets and cam cleats attached to car.
- Harken jib tracks, with ball-bearing car system and adjustable purchase led to the cockpit.
- Two Harken footblocks for jib sheets.
- Harken spinnaker sheet blocks mounted on thu-deck U bolts.
- Five mast base turning blocks.
- Two 4-sheave deck organizers to lead halyards and reef lines aft.
- Four stoppers on each side of coachroof.
- Spinnaker tack line led aft to stopper on starboard side of coachroof.
- Roller furling control line led aft to stopper on port side of coachroof.
- Bowsprit control line led to cockpit.
- Bow roller.
- Six mooring cleats.
- Stainless chainplates for shrouds and backstay
- Stainless handrails on top of coachroof.
- Double rail stainless pulpit and pushpit.
- Double lifeline system with 8 stanchions including 4 with reinforcing leg.
- 59 inch aluminum racing wheel, mounted to custom molded pedestal, with wheel well and drain.
- Compass on wheel pedestal with stainless binnacle guard.
- Acrylic companionway washboard with lock, stored in aft cockpit locker.
- Emergency tiller.
- Cold-molded, solid, and laminated walnut, finished in satin varnish. White finish on main bulkhead.
- Removable, wood effect veneered floor panels with lockdown hardware and ss metal ferrules and flush fasteners.
- White wood hull lining effect in main cabin. Vinyl lining on hull sides in sleeping cabins.
- Cored and insulated doors to all cabin areas.
Electronics and Navigation:
- B&G H5000 CPU with Wi-fi Access
- B&G Zeus chart plotter at binnacle
- B&G 20/20 Display Pack X 3 on Mast
- B&G H 5000 Display at companion way 2X with Triton 2
- B&G Triton Dsiplay at Nav. Table
- B&G Mast head unit
- B&G H5000 autopilot
- B&G VHF V50
Complete North Sails Inventory
- Mainsail- 3DI Endurance
- J 2- 3 DI Endurance
- J 4 3 DI Endurance with Karver Furler
- Code Zero (75% SMG) NPL Code XI with Karver Furler
- Mainsail- Norlam 360X
- J2- Norlam 360X
- J 3 Norlam 360X
- A2, A3, A4 Spinnakers with Carbon Snuffers
Plumbing & Electrical
- Electric windlass in anchor locker.
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit.
- Electric bilge pump with switch from automatic to manual with control and individual warning light.
- Shower drain pump with filter.
- Pressurized water system.
- 12V DC refrigeration.
- Stainless water tank (42 gallon) under main cabin settee (additional water tank as option).
- Icebox drain.
- 5 gallon hot water tank.
- Marine WC.
- Holding tank with pump-out. 2nd holding tank added with optional two cabin/two head layout.
- 12V electrical panel, with fuel gauge, voltmeter and amp meter.
- 110V main circuit breaker and panel.
- Halogen lights on ceilings and swiveling tulip lights in cabins.
- Ceiling light in heads.
- Low voltage LED navigation lights on pushpit and pulpit.
- Steaming light and mooring light.
- Grounding system for protection against lightning.
- Sterling power pro charger
- 110V Shorepower inlet with 30 amp service and one outlet at nav station (no cord).
- Volvo D2 40 HP Saildrive diesel engine, 115 AH alternator, with double diode and fresh water-cooling with heat exchanger.
- Volvo engine controls & fuel gauge recessed in cockpit, with plexiglass protection, including rev. counter, hour meter and alarms for oil pressure, low voltage and water temperature.
- 35 gallon aluminum fuel tank.
- Sound insulated engine compartment, ventilation pipes.
- Two-blade folding propeller.
Last three year upgrades:
For the 2020 season:
- Carbon mast patch from Hall Spars Europe for J4 halyard lock
- Chainplates on both sides of anchor locker and Karver 3:1 downhaul for free flying, inner J4
- 2 Karver furlers for J4 and code zero. Continuous line setup with lines and leads to furl from the cockpit
- Added bobstay to support bowsprit under code zero loads. The bobstay stays snug with bungee when not deployed
- New mainsail outhaul rigged for cabintop control instead of front of boom adjustment
- Replaced all cabin top clutches with Spinlock high load XXB halyard clutches and Spinlock XTS for other lines
- Custom pads and Spinlock Jammers to lock off mainsheets and free up extra winches for flying multiple headsails
- Upgraded B&G H5000 computer from Hydra to Hercules (to allow for expedition connections)
- Added B&G Precision 9 compass
- Moved H5000 pilot controlled to pedestal for easy solo and DH tacking/gybing
- New instrument panel above companionway with 2 H5000 displays and a Triton2 in between
- Converted fuel filter to Racor
- Converted butane stove system to propane and added gas valve solenoid to DC panel
- New VHF antenna and mast cable
- Bottom prep and fairing
- New Jabsco head
- Added masthead tri-light/anchor light
- Removed windlass Left anchor roller in place
- New Spade aluminum A100 anchor and new 270’ 8 plait anchor rode with 30’ of G4 chain for a light but very secure anchor
- USA 30amp shore power cable works with upgraded Sterling world power compatible battery charger
- New Thurston dodger with side and rear grab handles and a removable rear section for more shade. Removable 3rd bow folds in half for easier stowage.
- New Thurston sail cover to match the dodger
For the 2021 season:
- Rebuilt vang with new control line
- Rebuilt backstay hydraulics with new Navtec dual action panel
- Combiner switch to merge house and start batteries (Bermuda Race prep)
- Quarter turn fasteners for floorboards (Bermuda Race prep)
- Interior/exterior companionway latch added (Bermuda Race Prep)
- New bilge pump
- Added secondary “dry bilge” system
- Fresh water foot pump and spout added to galley sink
- New reef lines
- New Spinlock pad eyes at max beam for twing
- New (Lifeline?) AGM start battery
- New cockpit speakers
For the 2022 season:
- 2 new (Victorn?) 165AH AGM house batteries
- New halyards for main, jib spin 1&2 (all dyneema)
- New mainsheet
- New Lazyjacks
- Winslow 4 man Superlight Offshore liferaft was repacked in July 2022
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.