- Yacht Details Able Custom 50
- Year 1987
- Location Solomons, MD, US
- Engines 1
- Last UpdatedJul 27, 2021
- Asking Price$265,000.00
Have a question about this yacht?
Please Call or text Francis at (617) 331-8140 to set up a showing today!
"Mistral" is a beautiful example of a lovingly maintained and constantly updated, go-anywhere blue water cruiser.
She is a Chuck Paine design, and is an improved, both in comfort and speed, adaptation of his "Whistler 48" design which can be found in the "Worlds Best sailboats"
She features a 3 cabin/2 head layout that can comfortably accommodate a large family or crew. Among many of her desireable features are:
- Low hour Yanmar Diesel engine - 2006
- Genset - 2006
- Air Conditioning - 2017
- Diesel Heat,
- Electric Winches,
- In-boom furling mainsail,
- Standing rigging replaced 2006
- Bow thruster,
and a very long list of top equipment and continuous upgrades.
Mistral was custom built as "Palmyra" for one of the owners of Able Marine. She was designed to sail in comfort to Palmyra Atoll in the south pacific, which she did successfully, before returning to New England and cruising extensively with careful, experienced owners. Chuck Paine designed an extremely capable offshore cruiser with all the positive attributes of a center cockpit vessel, while still giving her sleek lines and a sea-friendly offshore cockpit where the boat can easily be sailed shorthanded. Major upgrades in 2006 were a taller single carbon fiber mast to replace her ketch rig, this simplified sail handling and rigging while increasing performance. Also replaced at this time were: standing rigging, Leisturefurl in-boom furling, and North Sails Hydranet dyneema sails, new 125hp Yanmar diesel engine, new Northern Lights genset, new Awlgrip and significant re-wiring.
Her current owner is an experienced marine professional and has continued to maintain and update her to a very high standard.
In the last few years she has had a new bow thruster and air-conditioning added, most deck hardware re-bedded and has had the exterior varnish completely stripped and renewed.
She is a true go-anywhere vessel and must be seen to be appreciated.
- Make Yanmar
- Model 4JH3-DTE
- Fuel diesel
- Hours 1450
- Type Inboard
- Drive Type Direct
- Length Overall: 50 ft
- Beam: 13.92 ft
- Hull Material: Fiberglass
- Fuel Tank: 1 x 158|gallon
- Fresh Water: 1 x 150|gallon
- Holding: 1 x 150|gallon
- Cabins: 3
- Topsides are Awlgrip Royal Blue.
- Hull is fiberglass with Airex core.
- Deck is fiberglass with balsa-core, glassed to the hull with high bulwarks.
- Bulwarks topped with varnished teak caprail.
- Side decks are laid teak with traditional kingplank.
- Other surfaces are painted with Awlgrip Matterhorn white, light grey nonskid on cabin tops to reduce glare.
- Beautifully detailed combination of fine cabinetry and satin varnished cherry trim and joinery.
- Cabinet doors are generally recessed paneled type with louvers, all have secondary positive offshore latching mechanisms.
- Bulkheads are white in Herreshoff style.
- Cabin soles throughout are satin varnished teak and holly.
- Handrails are strategically positioned throughout the interior.
- Bureau tops are varnished cherry as are cabinet doors, drawer fronts, door jambs and fiddles.
- Drawers are built with true dovetail joints.
- Personnel door frames have arched lintels.
- Private stateroom with V-berth.
- Fore and aft shelving to each side.
- Satin varnished hull ceilings.
- Large hanging locker to port and bureau to starboard.
- The fore and aft bulkheads of this cabin are watertight,
- Ventilation from a large overhead deck hatch, two opening ports and a dorade ventilator.
- Basin, toiletry lockers and linen stowage.
- Trimmed in teak.
- A combination of doors permits expansion into a roomy shower.
- Double cabin with upper and lower berths.
- Bureau and hanging locker.
- Sliding paneled door.
- Ventilation from two opening ports, an overhead hatch and a dorade ventilator.
- A dining area for six is to port with medium blue Ultra Sued upholstery.
- Two louvered cabinets outboard of dinette with two book shelves with removable fiddles.
- Paul Luke wood burning fireplace surrounded by blue and white Delft tiles.
- Single built in settee to starboard with louvered cabinet outboard.
- Located to starboard opposite the galley.
- Oversized chart table with instrument console facing the navigator with a cherry faced cabinet and three-bay pencil/storage tray.
- Double tier for chart storage so that charts for immediate use are kept in the upper level while the lower level (with its own separate aft-facing door/cover) contains secondary charts.
- Large bookshelf outboard.
- Excellent light and visibility due to raised deckhouse.
- Located at companionway outboard to port.
- Equipped with custom stainless steel countertops throughout.
- Large deep stainless steel sink with pressure hot/cold water, filtered fresh water, and salt water faucets.
- Generous food and galleyware lockers are outboard and forward.
- Tasco 3-burner stove with oven.
- GE microwave (available via inverter power).
- 12v Sea Frost refrigeration in large, well insulated Separate fridge and freezer units (8 cu. ft fridge, 7 cu. ft. freezer).
- Swing out bottle locker provides secondary engine access (at base of companionway.
- Fantastic light and viability due to raised deckhouse.
- The companionway steps have lift-up treads with storage for flashlights, safety harnesses, and other items requiring quick access.
- Located in passageway aft of nav station (leading to aft cabin).
- Full headroom.
- Wet hanging locker.
- Work bench with swing out stool.
- Spare parts stowage and tool drawers.
- Double doors to the engine/mechanical compartment.
Aft Master Cabin
- Watertight compartment with cherry paneled double stainless steel dogged door.
- Two excellent sea berths.
- Large hanging locker.
- Companionway ladder with access to the cockpit.
- Ventilation from four opening ports, overhead hatch, and a dorade ventilator.
- Located forward of aft cabin on the port side.
- Separate stall shower (trimmed in teak)
- Yanmar 4JH3-DTE 125HP (2006) with Approx. 1450 hours
- MaxProp 22” feathering three-blade.
- Dripless shaft-seal.
- Engine driven emergency high volume pump
- Northern Lights M673 - 5 KW diesel generator (2006) with 660 hours. (Fully serviced 2015)
Village Marine Watermaker model SPW 600 - 25gph.
- Sidepower bowthruster with wireless remote. (2015)
- Cruisair reverse cycle AC and Heat. (2015)
- Espar Heater.
SeaFrost 12volt refrigeration (2 units for fridge and freezer).
(2) Stainless steel and (1) bladder water tanks with a total capacity of 150 gal.
(4) Stainless fuel tanks with a combined capacity of 158 gal.
Tank Tender tank level monitors are connected to all tanks.
- Domestic water via Paragon Senior pump.
- Paul Luke solid fuel fireplace in the main saloon.
- Grohe mixing valves.
- Seagull IV potable water filter at the galley sink.
- MISTRAL was re-rigged in 2006 from a ketch to a cutter rig.
- 70’ carbon mast by GMT (2006). - inspected with rig down in 2019
- Leisure-furl in-boom furling. (2006)
- Harken headsail furler. (2006)
- Harken staysail furler. (2006)
- Standing rigging is 1 x 19 stainless with Norseman fittings throughout - all new 2006 - Inspected with rig down in 2019
- Mast mounted spinnaker pole.
- Navtec hydraulic vang & backstay adjuster.
- Full batten Hydranet Mainsail
- Yankee Cut Genoa
- New staysail 2019
- Storm sails
- Electric Primary Winches
- Anderson electric halyard winch
- Emergency engine-driven Jabsco 62 gpm bilge pump.
- Edson manual bilge pump (model 258) mounted in the cockpit sole.
- Revere Elite Series 6-Person Life raft with hydro-static release. (new in 2015, requires recertification)
- The electrical system was specifically designed for simplicity, durability and redundancy.
- Ship's service is 12VDC with 3 8D AGM LifeLine batteries divided into (l) house (1) engine (1) winch banks.
- Emergency crossover switching system for emergency engine start.
- Independent Generator start battery.
- Custom built, main electrical panel with circuit breakers for all loads using color-coded, soldered terminals with lighted texts and condition monitors.
- Wiring is color-coded, harnessed and bundled using highest quality tinned copper wire with soldered, heat shrink, terminals on all connections.
- The twin 30a 11O VAC shore power system has a 50 ft. cord, with separate breaker panel.
- Xantrex inverter/charger and Mastervolt engine bank charger.
- Northern Lights generator is mounted in the engine room.
- Grounding and bonding system installed to all through hulls
- Danforth Globemaster 6” binnacle compass (serviced & swung – 2014)
- Furuno Model 1832 Radar (Nav station)
- Fluxgate compasses (2)
- Garmin 7608 XSV touch screen plotter
- Garmin 7610 touch screen plotter - 2015 (Helm)
- AIS System. - 2015
- Icom M-700 SSB radio w/ AT 120 antenna tuner
- B & G Network wind display (nav station/helm)
- B & G Network quad display – wind/depth (nav station/helm)
- Simrad AP24 Auto Pilot with Hydraulic drive (nav station/helm)
- Standard Horizon VHF (nav)
- Garmin 200 VHF - 2015 (nav)
- Standard Ram Mike (aft cabin/nav)