Hakes HH42 Race for Sale in New England
First In Class Racing Monohull
Designed solely to be very very fast, be very affordable and rate well under IRC, HPR, ORCi, and other handicapping systems. This is a no compromise 100% prepreg carbon fibre racing machine from the world’s best IRC race boat designers Judel Vrolijk. The designers accolades are many including multiple Americas Cup success, and in recent years their designs have been on the podium at nearly all the world’s major regattas. The designers have completely satisfied the design brief and challenge they were given. Join those already at the head of the fleet. To date 5 boats are already sold and winning.The challenges of any design are multi layered, but simply prioritised; firstly very fast, nobody wants to go slow anymore, secondly a regatta winner especially under IRC , 80% of the world races under this rule so we have made sure she sails well to her handicap. Winning a regatta is about consistently high results with good averages in all points of sail, not necessarily just a strong upwind or downwind boat. Thirdly ergonomically designed and constructed so that sailing systems are highly efficient downstairs as well as on deck.
Cleverly the designers have crafted the powerful lines of this hull so it can handle 500kg less displacement to both future proof the boat for performance optimisation, and to make it compatible for the HPR rule with a carbon keel fin amongst other go faster modifications. Optimized for 8-16 knots of wind strength, a very powerful beam, soft chine, flush deck and plumb bow, bow sprit, pedestal driven winches, deep high aspect foils, athwartship sheeting, backstay deflectors, high modulus carbon fibre Southern Spars rig make this the ultimate modern racing machine. With berths for 10, galley, enclosed head, the HH42 is suitable for offshore blue water racing too. The hull in particular stands out from all the competitors will full bow sections, tumble home in the topsides and a massive gunwale radius forward meaning the boat has less windage, saves forward deck weight and very quickly is comfortably up surfing with its big A Sails.
The entire construction has been carefully set up and is monitored by Paul Hakes and his New Zealand expat managers in China, making the boat very affordable. He has cleverly turned the boat building craft into a process, using robotic technology to make female carbon moulds, robots to cut the carbon prepreg, and clever internal monocoque structure means that a tape measure is not required to build the boat to millimetre perfection.
Come see what the fuss is about , find out what winning yacht design and construction looks like, read on, organise a test sail, or ask for more…
Price: Contact us to discuss customizing your HH42 Race Sailboat
- To win on line and IRC in its size range optimized for 8-14 knots of TWS, but with flexibility for strong offshore performance.
- To create High Performance (fast and fun), no compromise racing yacht for professional yachtsmen and club yachtsmen alike.
- To create space below for ease of sail handling, yet accommodate limited offshore racing.
- To create the strongest, safest, and stiffest hull, deck, and structures to deliver winning results and reliable performance.
- The boat must look potent and beautiful.
Designers: Judel / Vrolijk & CO – Engineering Gmbh
Builder: Hakes Marine China
Structural Engineers: SDK Structures USA
|LOA||12.6 m / 41.34 ft|
|BOA||4.35 m / 14.27 ft|
|Draft||2.8 m / 9.19 ft|
|Sail Area Upwind||106 sq.m / 1140 sq.f|
|Sail Area Downwind||245 sq.m / 2637 sq.f|
|ISP||18.71 m / 61.38 ft|
Hull / Deck
- 100% carbon prepreg / cured at high temperature
- Thermoformed damage tolerant foam cores
- Engineered weight controlled toughened core adhesive films
- Engineered to ISAF Category 1 Safety regulations / ISO Regulations
- Keel socket integral with hull shell laminate
Bulkheads / Structures
- 100% carbon prepreg
- Finite Element Analysis of keel floor and principle structures
- Unique monocoque single piece bottom shell structure
- Weight controlled toughened core adhesive films
- 100% carbon secondary bonding
- Optimized open plan interior ease of sail handling
- Perfect hand finished two pot paint mid section
- 8 berths standard, 6 retracting pipecots, 2 fixed berths in the saloon with forward V-berth. Enclosed head, port and starboard crew
- Lockers and full height hanging locker
- 30hp Yanmar engine with sail drive / Gori racing propeller/42 litres fuel / deck filled
- 1 burner wire frame cooker / lightweight chemical toilet.
- Integral engine box with bottom step and electronic displays and controls.
- Red and White LED interior lighting / aircraft spec wiring.
- High lift foils/keel fin cast iron epoxy primed, epoxy GRP sheaved for higher corrosion protection.
- Keel socketed to hull for easy and quick removal and installation, and enhanced safety and stiffness.
- Bulb is solid cast 2.2 tons with 1.5% antimony lead.
- Rudder foil is high lift with 100% carbon autoclaved prepreg stock, and 100% carbon prepreg blad.
- Bearing are water tight self aligning.
- Tiller is Hakes Custom Carbon with Spinlock extension.
- Keel and rudder are factory pre-fitted.
Mast / Rigging
- Mast is a Southern Spar carbon rig with engineered high modulus fibre for increased stiffness and weight saving
- Two piece rig with joiner for easy packing and transportation
- Two spreader rig with carbon aerofoil spreaders
- Twin groove headstay foil installed on forestay.
- Box boom, with removable carbon gas vang strut, two reef sheaves.
- Hydraulic Backstay Deflectors for performance adjustments using a ram
- Main Halyard Lock
- Internal mast jack with pump
- Mast base with additional sliding plate and screw adjustment
- Nitronic 50 rod rigging, 12 t Kevlar backstays
- Dyneema SK78 Halyards / 2:1 main halyard with Spinlock jammer and Harken cheek block below deck
- All control lines SK90, spliced with tapered ends fitted and installed
Deck Gear Removable
- 1.5m long 100% carbon prepreg bow prod with two internal tack lines. Custom carbon bobstay
- On deck systems for water proof boat
- Light weight custom carbon forward hatch with pneumatic seal, big internal radius for ease of gennaker hoist and drops
- Composite socketed stanchions / alloy fwd rail, single composite aft aerofoil stanchion with Dyneema lifelines with anti-chaff whipping through stanchions
- Wide under deck sliding companionway hatch with carbon wash board
- Helmsman footrest bars with integrated mainsheet controls to helm position
- Custom light weight Hi Load soft padeyes
- Harken carbo blocks / Spinlock XC jammers
- Primaries / Performa 50s 3 speed, self-tailing, pedestal driven from aft with angled pedestal to clear rudder top bearing
- Mainsheet / Performa 46s 2 speed, self-tailing
- Backstay / Performa 46s 2 speed self tailing
- Pit / Starboard side only Performa 46 2 speed self-tailing.
- Topsides / hand finished 2 pack Alexseal marine urethane one light colour
- Deck / work areas painted non-skid / cockpit painted non-skid / verticals high gloss.
- Interior / hand finished 2 pack semi-gloss mid-section / ends are peelply racing finish.
- Bottom / epoxy two pack primer
HH 42 Race Review
IRC-HPR hybrid 40 footer
By The Daily SailSince we lasted looked at the handicap 40 footers market (Farr 400, Ker 40 and McConaghy 38), several new offering have come available including the high performance Carkeek 40 built by Premier Composites in Dubai (now in its Mk2 form) and McConaghy-built Botin 40. But the first of this latest generation of boats of this size to arrive in the UK, in the form Richard Matthew’s Oystercatcher XXX, is the Judel-Vrolijk designed 42ft built by Hakes Marine, the HH42. When we last wrote about Hakes in any major way they were based in Wellington, NZ, when they were building TP52s and subsequently Mike Golding and Dee Caffari’s IMOCA 60 sisterships…